So you’ve gotten divorced and you thought all the hard stuff was over.
Well, technically it is, but I bet you did not realize that there are so many other details that you need and should take care of.
Listen, the list is going to feel daunting, so I am just going to give you a few things to get you started. I want to keep you out of overwhelm and give you bite size pieces of goals that you can accomplish. And then, you can truly know that it’s over and you are well on your way to moving on!
Do you remember when you were actually going through the divorce process? Well I can guarantee that you had to provide all kinds of financial documents and tax returns and whatever else to your lawyer and perhaps even your banks. Your financial and personal life was literally scattered all over the place.
Here are a few key things to take care of that will make your life so much easier right now:
- Make sure you get all your personal and financial papers back from your lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc.
- You’ve cried a lot of tears and spent a lot of money on your divorce, so keep that final order in a safe place, because trust me girl – you are going to need it in the future. So might as well know where it is and keep it safe in the meantime.
- Changing your name? Well if you are going to go back to your maiden name, then you need to ensure that you have the proper documents on hand, like your marriage certificate and divorce order. So things like changing your name on utilities, driver’s license, passport, email etc. will all require these documents and as well as some time and effort to do so. But, don’t give up.
Now that the technical stuff is out of the way, it’s time to work on the personal stuff. You need to get your mojo back – start living and feeling good about yourself.
So here are a few things to get you back on track.
- If your body has taken a beating and you’ve either lost weight or gained weight, it’s time to get yourself to the gym or start doing a home routine to get that body back. There are a million videos for free on the internet, so forget the “I don’t have money excuse.” Start moving.
- Girl, get some new clothes. Nothing says fresh start like new clothes… not to mention the feel good attitude that comes with those new clothes.
- Start practicing meditation and journaling. You have been through so much emotionally that you need a good brain dump. It will be the best, most cost efficient thing you can do for your well being.
I hope these few simple things help you move forward and tackle that never-ending list. Trust me, there is WAY MORE that needs to be done, but take those baby steps first.
I don’t want to put you in overwhelm mode (that’s the last thing you need to do to yourself). Putting things into bite size and manageable tasks will ensure you actually get them done.
And remember that even when you think you can’t go on, YOU CAN
I guarantee that there is Love, Money and Life after divorce (take it from someone who’s literally been there, done that).